Presenting a new series of articles where we will provide details for some of the most well known Black Metal bands, starting with Scandinavian legends Marduk & Mayhem.
Today we proudly present what will be an extensive series of articles titled Kings of Black, presenting background information and detailed biographies for some of Black Metal's most prolific and well known bands.
We will start off by presenting two of Scandinavia's most influential and long lasting Black Metal bands: Mayhem from Norway, and Marduk from Sweden.
For Mayhem, being one of the most controversial Black Metal bands, we have focused slightly on resuming the well known albeit frequently exaggerated events surrounding the band during the early years of the Norwegian Black Metal movement, including the suicide of singer Per Yngve "Dead" Ohlin in 1991, and the murder of guitarist Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth by fellow bass player Varg Vikernes in 1993, as well as details regarding the recording of "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", their legendary album released in 1994.
Click here to view our biography for Mayhem.
In contrast, for Marduk we have opted to focus more on their extensive discography which, with the recent release of their latest album "Serpent Sermon", reaches a grand total of 12 full length studio recordings, as well as 7 EPs, 2 live albums, 2 singles, 2 DVDs, 1 box set compilation and 1 demo, which they have recorded over the course of their 22 year history. During this time they have also performed an endless number of live shows in virtually every corner of the globe.
Click here to view our biography for Marduk.
Be sure to keep an eye on our news section as we will soon release Part II of our Kings of Black series, with profiles of more legendary Black Metal bands. Stay tuned!
- Givre release new music video
- Skare put out song from upcoming debut album
- Sodom reveal details for 40th anniversary album (1)
- Black Anvil reveal new song from upcoming album
- Iskandr release new "Glas" single
- Abduction put out new music video
- Necromante release lyric video for "The Venom Between Gods"
- Eclesios streaming song from upcoming debut
- Hierophant put out another track from next album
- Firtan release first single from upcoming album
Latest forum threads
- Forum: Random songs #4 (44)
- Album: Beastcraft - Dawn of the Serpent (1)
- News: Sodom reveal details for 40th anniversary album (1)
- Album: Ursorg - Ursorg (1)
- Album: Abbath - Dread Reaver (3)
- News: Behemoth reveal two music videos for "The Deathless Sun" (1)
- Album: Petrale - From Under the Floorboards (1)
- Album: Dakhma (CHE) - Passageways to Daena (The Concomitant Blessings of Putrescing ... (1)
- Album: Raven Dark - Berustet av Kriegsdronnet (1)
- Album: Master Burial - The Black Phoenix Will Rise From Their Ashes Pt. 1 (1)
- Forum: Random songs #4 (44)
Latest album reviews
Recent & upcoming releases
- Tombs - Ex Oblivion13/07:
- Demonic Resurrection - Decades of Darkness22/07:
- Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstasy22/07:
- Witchery - Nightside22/07:
- Dimmu Borgir - Northern Forces over Wacken29/07:
- Isengard - Vandreren29/07:
- Einherjer - Norse and Dangerous05/08:
- Hierophant (ITA) - Death Siege26/08:
- Lustre (SWE) - A Thirst for Summer Rain26/08:
- Sigh - Shiki26/08:
- Behemoth (POL) - Opvs Contra Natvram16/09:
- Hetroertzen - Phosphorus Vol I16/09:
- Thou Art Lord - Daemoniorum21/09:
- Abhor (ITA) - Sex Sex Sex23/09:
- Nordjevel - Gnavhòl23/09:
- Venom Inc. - There's Only Black23/09:
- ColdWorld - Isolation30/09:
- Firtan - Marter30/09:
- Moonspell - From Down Below - Live 80 Meters Deep30/09:
- Power from Hell - Shadows Devouring Light30/09:
- De Profundis (GBR) - The Corruption of Virtue07/10:
- Goatwhore - Angels Hung from the Arches of Heaven07/10:
- Abduction (GBR) - Black Blood21/10:
- Sodom - 40 Years at War - The Greatest Hell of Sodom28/10:
- Mamaleek - Diner Coffee30/10:
- Black Anvil - Regenesis04/11:
On This Day
2014: Bølzer released their second EP, titled "Soma". (Pictured)
Whenever you buy albums through our site, we receive a few cents for each sale, at no extra cost.
This helps us to stay online, and advert-free. Thank you for your continued support.
We are also on Patreon.