Lunar Aurora have just announced that they will be putting the project to rest after nine albums and more than 18 years of activity.
All great things must come to an end sooner or later, and unfortunately Lunar Aurora, one of Germany's finest Black Metal bands, are no exception to this rule, having just announced that they have decided to put the band to rest indefinitely after a stunning career spanning more than 18 years, releasing a total of nine full length albums of nothing but Atmospheric Black Metal of the highest quality. The news comes somewhat unexpected, as the band had only just returned to activity last year after following a five year hiatus, and released their latest masterpiece, "Hoagascht", earlier this year.
The band made the following announcement on their official site yesterday:
It has always been clear that also Lunar Aurora will end some day. And this autumn we felt that it is time to lay the band to rest. We came to that decision for various reasons, the two following may be the most significant. On one hand our imaginations of future musical projects are difficult to reconcile with Lunar Aurora, on the other hand we feel that Lunar Aurora is out of tune with these times. We have never been people that speechify, so we won't make a big deal out of that, either.
It have been 18 great years and for that we want to say a big "THANK YOU!" to the people who have been with us during those years. Especially the fans as well as the bands we played with or did projects with. Not to forget the magazines, distributors, concert promoters, without whom publicity would not have been possible. Our label partners Frank Stöver, Andreas Lacher and Tom Wahl we owe deep thankfulness for their energy and trust.
With deep gratefulness we think of our bandmates Sindar, Nathaniel, Profanatitas, Biil, Skoarth and Bernhard Klepper for all they did for Lunar Aurora with great dedication.
Although there won't be a new Lunar Aurora album anymore, we will make sure that the long out of stock albums "...of stargates...", "Elixir of Sorrow" and "A Haudiga Fluag" will be available through Cold Dimensions within the next 1-2 years.
Until we meet again...
While this is bad news for any Lunar Aurora fan, the truth is that they have released a tremendous amount of great music over the last two decades, starting off in the more traditional vein of Second Wave Black Metal and gradually evolving their own unique and characteristic sound, without once dropping in quality, and we consider that they have put forth enough material to keep everyone satisfied for years to come. Each one of their nine full length albums is a work of art, and although each fan will surely have their favourite album or two that they value slightly above the rest, you can safely pick up any of their works and enjoy it from start to finish.
On a more positive note, the decision to split up Lunar Aurora guarantees that the excellence of their entire discography will remain intact, and their legacy within modern Black Metal unshakable.
You can find many of Lunar Aurora's albums on Amazon.com, and if you still have never heard any of their works and are curious to find out just what all the hype is about, we strongly recommend you check out their "Andacht" album, which currently ranks at number 8 on our list of the Top 100 Black Metal Albums at the time of writing this news item.
Additionally, their last album "Hoagascht" currently holds our Best Album of 2012 award.
Hopefully more news about the future projects of Lunar Aurora's members is just around the corner.
- New Hulder EP out now and streaming online in full
- Adaestuo reveal track from upcoming EP
- Gaerea release new music video from upcoming "Mirage" album
- Power From Hell reveal new track
- New Verberis album "Adumbration of the Veiled Logos" streaming online in full
- Inexorum streaming latest album in full
- Pestilent Hex streaming new album online in full ahead of next week's release
- Sever premiere new track from upcoming demo tape
- Inferno reveal new music video
- Veter Daemonaz premiere debut album
Latest forum threads
- Forum: Random songs #4 (32)
- Album: Chaos Moon - Languor into Echoes, Beyond (1)
- Album: Orgg - Dimonios (2)
- News: Google Chrome Extension for BBMA Searches (2)
- News: New Bekëth Nexëhmü track streaming online (1)
- Album: Leviathan (USA) - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (2)
- Forum: Modern Black Metal Classics (3)
- Album: Aphelion (USA) [α] - The Chill of Heavens Abandonment (1)
- Album: Oss Nebes - Миф (1)
- News: Nubivagant release opening track from upcoming album (1)
- Forum: Random songs #4 (32)
Latest album reviews
Recent & upcoming releases
- Kreator - Hate über alles03/06:
- Striborg - The Fields of Rapacious Blood06/06:
- Denouncement Pyre - Forever Burning17/06:
- Krallice - Psychagogue17/06:
- White Ward - False Light17/06:
- Kawir - War of the Giants23/06:
- Belphegor - The Devils24/06:
- Hats Barn - Y.A.HW.E.H24/06:
- Khold - Svartsyn24/06:
- Saor - Origins24/06:
- Hulder (USA) - The Eternal Fanfare01/07:
- Tombs - Ex Oblivion13/07:
- Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstasy22/07:
- Witchery - Nightside22/07:
- Dimmu Borgir - Northern Forces over Wacken29/07:
- Isengard - Vandreren29/07:
- Einherjer - Norse and Dangerous05/08:
- Sigh - Shiki26/08:
- Behemoth (POL) - Opvs Contra Natvram16/09:
- Hetroertzen - Phosphorus Vol I16/09:
- Thou Art Lord - Daemoniorum21/09:
- Venom Inc. - There's Only Black23/09:
- Power from Hell - Shadows Devouring Light30/09:
On This Day
Whenever you buy albums through our site, we receive a few cents for each sale, at no extra cost.
This helps us to stay online, and advert-free. Thank you for your continued support.
We are also on Patreon.