The interview circles around the origin of the illustration used as the new album cover, and its connection with the album and Darkthrone in general.
Fenriz from the mighty Darkthrone recently offered a brand new interview with HeaviestOfArt.com, which reveals more details about the upcoming full-length.
In the article, there is a lengthy interview with artist David A. Hardy about the origins of his artwork, and also a rather short interview with Fenriz about the intention of the band for using this artwork on their upcoming album, "Eternal Hails......".
When asked about the idea behind using this artwork as their album cover, Fenriz reveals some details about the history of the band (and himself) regarding the early days of Darkthrone:
It would be easy as Paul (Peaceville label manager) suggesting to have my "spaced out" title for the next album on THIS album, but it would be too obvious and perfect. I struggle with perfect. I like music to have friction, to find the diamond and not just get a diamond ring or whatever. 'Eternal Hails' was a standard ending of letters back in the day, be it 80's or 90's (90% of my letter correspondence were in '87, '88, '89).
'Eternal Hails' is therefore the bonds of old. If you want to connect it to the artwork, then that is fine, but I will not say how. Everyone can see the artwork. The title is not an underground correspondence thing, but perhaps a yearning or a deep respect or simply AWE.
I xeroxed this artwork for correspondence purposes back in '88 at Waldemarhøy in Ski when I went to school there and got placed as an office boy at that culture centre. I had access to an awesome xeroxer! I first saw that artwork in a book about space that my cousin Fonne had and it was 40 years ago, It is my favourite space image of all time and I was HAPPY AS LARRY (!!!) when Paul fixed it so that we could use it. David A. Hardy, man! THE CIRCLE IS COMPLETE.
(Based on these statements by Fenriz, my personal assumption would be that the music on this album is not going to be a fully "spaced-out" Doom Metal effort!)
Although the Interview with David A. Hardy doesn't mention much about the album or Darkthrone in general, it provides some cool facts. For example; the original "Pluto" artwork didn't have a moon in 1972, but in 1978, after the discovery of Pluto's moon, the artwork was slightly altered and ended-up as the way it is today.
Also, another rather off-topic fact is that David A. Hardy designed the original artwork for Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", which was later scrapped and replaced with an enigmatic prism and spectrum.
You can read the whole article here:
"Eternal Hails......" will be released on June the 25th through Peaceville Records. Stay tuned for more updates.
Last edited by Imperator on 11th June, 2021 @ 10:28 UTC
- Belphegor release new music video
- Svart Crown release new track from upcoming EP
- New song from Khold available for listening
- Denouncement Pyre reveal new song
- Hats Barn premiere new track from "Y.a.HW.e.H"
- Inexorum reveal another song from upcoming album
- Latest Häxenzijrkell album streaming online in full
- Saor reveal new music video from "Origins"
- New track from Pestilent Hex upcoming debut album
- Debut Nattehimmel demo streaming online
Latest forum threads
- Album: Inhale - All Hope Is Gone (1)
- Album: Cry of Condemned - Black Earth (1)
- Forum: Haiduk - Diabolica  (1)
- News: Blut Aus Nord streaming "Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses" in full (3)
- Album: Tírad Dûr - Fell Light in Windy Cloud (1)
- Forum: Random songs #4 (16)
- Forum: New Album! Morphesia - O C E A N I C (2022) - Mixed & Mastered @ Blood Moon ... (1)
- Album: Marduk - World Funeral (5)
- Album: Marduk - Rom 5:12 (2)
- Album: Marduk - Viktoria (5)
Latest album reviews
Recent & upcoming releases
- Al-Namrood - Worship the Degenerate29/04:
- Grafvitnir - Tunes of Sitra Ahra29/04:
- Meyhnach - Miseria de Profundis29/04:
- Satan's Host - This Legacy Will Never Die29/04:
- Watain - The Agony & Ecstasy of Watain29/04:
- Negative Plane - The Pact30/04:
- Djevelkult - Drep Alle Guder06/05:
- Absurd - Schwarze Bande08/05:
- Aara - Triade II: Hemera13/05:
- Corpus Christii - The Bitter End of Old13/05:
- Horn - Verzet16/05:
- Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses20/05:
- Septicflesh - Modern Primitive20/05:
- Cadaveria - Emptiness27/05:
- Lord Belial - Rapture27/05:
- Massemord (NOR) - Den Svarte Sjelen01/06:
- Kreator - Hate über alles03/06:
- Denouncement Pyre - Forever Burning17/06:
- White Ward - False Light17/06:
- Belphegor - The Devils24/06:
- Hats Barn - Y.A.HW.E.H24/06:
- Khold - Svartsyn24/06:
- Saor - Origins24/06:
- Tombs - Ex Oblivion13/07:
- Isengard - Vandreren29/07:
- Behemoth (POL) - Opvs Contra Natvram16/09:
- Thou Art Lord - Daemoniorum21/09:
- Venom Inc. - There's Only Black23/09:
On This Day
Whenever you buy albums through our site, we receive a few cents for each sale, at no extra cost.
This helps us to stay online, and advert-free. Thank you for your continued support.
We are also on Patreon.