The band's upcoming fifth full-length album, "Viperface", is due for release tomorrow through Hell's Headbangers Records.
Italian Black Metal Thrashers Barbarian are getting ready to unleash "Viperface" tomorrow, their fifth full-length studio album. The release will happen through Hell's Headbangers Records, who have just uploaded the album's title track to their YouTube channel, check it out:
The label commented on the band's path so far, and what listeners can expect with the new record:
Since signing with Hells Headbangers in 2016, Barbarian have truly hit their stride. First came their third album, Cult of the Empty Grave, which found the power-trio in fiery form - or, "Absolute Metal," as they called it - taking all the rudiments of their first two albums and exploding the band out of the underground.
Then, a year later, came a self-titled 7", which offered an even rowdier take on their now-trademark blackened traditional metal. It also saw them touring the United States for the first time, spreading their dark gospel to untouched heathen shores. Then, in 2019 came their masterful fourth album, To No God Shall I Kneel, hitting a highwater mark with their "Obtuse Metal."
So, what's next for Barbarian? The "Regressive Metal" of fifth album Viperface! "Our approach to metal is regressive," the band declare. "By means of metal retrogardism, we interrogate the present - do we really need so many sheep and shepherds today? Heavy metal is the whip, and you bleed!" Indeed you shall bleed across the taut 'n' tight 37-minute Viperface, thrilling to the high-octane Motorcharge of its seven component tracks.
While "sticking to their guns" or even "more of the same" are backhanded compliments (at best) to other bands, Barbarian aren't "other bands," and there's no reason to fix or falter from such a noble foundation as theirs. For the earliest works of Omen, Celtic Frost, Manowar, and Running Wild are revered and recast yet again, the riddle of steel still pondered and pursued, as Viperface evinces that same uniquely Barbarian balance between the ancient and the fresh. Some of it may be darker or drunker or more uplifting or perfect for lifting weights or whatever - but this is 666% Barbarian at the height of their powers, not yet ready to descend from that mount.
Absolute Metal! Obtuse Metal! And now REGRESSIVE METAL! Step back or step aside with Barbarian's Viperface.
"Viperface" features a total of seven tracks:
- Chant of the Inflicter
- Whisper My Name
- Charity Defiler
- A Feast for the Beast
- Fourteen Daggers
- Regressive Metal
A closer look at the cover art:
You can order "Viperface" from the Hell's Headbangers Records website in cassette and CD formats, with vinyl LP expected to follow at some point in 2023:
Alternatively the album is available in digital format via the label's Bandcamp page:
- Precieux Sang reveal opening track from upcoming debut
- Debut Aerdryk album out now and streaming in full (1)
- Sodom put out "1982" single
- Debut Oerheks album out now and streaming online in full
- Lustre release new "Thirst" single
- Hanghedief reveal track from upcoming EP
- New Imperathron song online from upcoming debut
- Blodhemn release new "Fraa Djupet" single from upcoming album
- New song from Sigh
- Givre release new music video
Latest forum threads
- Forum: Random songs #4 (46)
Latest album reviews
Recent & upcoming releases
- Demonic Resurrection - Decades of Darkness22/07:
- Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstasy22/07:
- Witchery - Nightside22/07:
- Dimmu Borgir - Northern Forces over Wacken29/07:
- Isengard - Vandreren29/07:
- Einherjer - Norse and Dangerous05/08:
- Hexis - Aeternum26/08:
- Hierophant (ITA) - Death Siege26/08:
- Lustre (SWE) - A Thirst for Summer Rain26/08:
- Sigh - Shiki26/08:
- Behemoth (POL) - Opvs Contra Natvram16/09:
- Hetroertzen - Phosphorus Vol I16/09:
- Mork (NOR) - Den Svevende Festning16/09:
- Thou Art Lord - Daemoniorum21/09:
- Abhor (ITA) - Sex Sex Sex23/09:
- Nordjevel - Gnavhòl23/09:
- Venom Inc. - There's Only Black23/09:
- ColdWorld - Isolation30/09:
- Firtan - Marter30/09:
- Moonspell - From Down Below - Live 80 Meters Deep30/09:
- Power from Hell - Shadows Devouring Light30/09:
- Blodhemn - Sverger Hemn07/10:
- De Profundis (GBR) - The Corruption of Virtue07/10:
- Goatwhore - Angels Hung from the Arches of Heaven07/10:
- Abduction (GBR) - Black Blood21/10:
- Sodom - 40 Years at War - The Greatest Hell of Sodom28/10:
- Mamaleek - Diner Coffee30/10:
- Black Anvil - Regenesis04/11:
On This Day
2007: Nargaroth released "Semper Fidelis", their fifth full-length album. (Pictured)
Whenever you buy albums through our site, we receive a few cents for each sale, at no extra cost.
This helps us to stay online, and advert-free. Thank you for your continued support.
We are also on Patreon.